I'm back with a new job and a new quitting campaign, Questions, support, abuse? Mail to: TheNewNormal

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Australia wins World Cup opening game


Australia (The Socceroos) wins it's opening match against Japan 3-1. Wow what a game! I was watching it on the Tube (it runs from 11PM to 1AM here) and it was a real rollercoaster of emotion.

The Socceroos had most of the posession, but about 20mins into the first half, Japan scored. It was nasty. Our goalie, Schwartzer, was taken out by a Japanese striker but the umpire let it go. After the game he apparently admitted he'd made a mistake.

85 gruelling minutes go by, with Australia's first World Cup appearance for 32 years slipping away with every minute. Then, out of nowhere,

we score!

I was so pumped!

Then, against all probabilities we score again. This second goal was a very nice piece of work, hitting both upright posts. I was absolutely beside myself. I went from thinking it was over, to being in front.

Just to seal it, the Socceroos scored for a third time in the final 10minutes, to make the score 3-1.

We're in a group with Brazil and Croatia, so it's all uphill from here. Just winning one game is enough for me (not to mention scoring our first ever World Cup Finals goal) especially since we havn't been there for 32 years and I'm 25.



http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/496844/australia.gif

1 Interesting comments:

Blogger Ang screamed...

Hell, yes, that was a good game!!!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home